Mt. Zion Baptist Church Brief History

Mt. Zion Baptist Church was established in the year 1892. The following persons were founders: Neal Brown, Jordan Dreher, James Johnson, Andrew Koon, Mack Meggett, Thomas Mayers, John Anderson Schumpert, George Sondley, and Willie Wilson.

The first church meeting was held in the home of Mr. and Mrs. J.A. Schumpert in the summer of 1892. Their home was used as a place of worship for almost two years. In 1894, Mrs. Martin Chapin donated the use of the Old Grits Mill House to use as a church. During this time the Rev. F.R. Wallace of Newberry, SC was the pastor.

Around 1905, a small spot of land was given by one of the white land-owners of Chapin for the purpose of erecting a church building. The first wood-framed church was completed around 1913 and the Rev. W.P. Peterson was the first pastor. During Rev. Peterson's tenure of seventeen years, the church grew rapidly in membership.

In the early 1950's the church purchased additional grounds and began remodeling. The old church was brick veneered around the original structure, made larger and added an Educational building.

On July 14, 1954 a new brick church was dedicated. In the early spring of 2003, the members elected to build a new sanctuary and convert the old sanctuary into a fellowship hall with a conference room, classrooms, and restrooms.

In February of 2005, the first worship service was held in the new sanctuary. Rev. Gary L. Walton served as our pastor from February 8, 1998 until April of 2013.

The Reverend Kevin Russell Sheppard, Sr. was elected as our new pastor on April 26, 2014, and he began his tenure on May 11, 2014.

On Sunday, July 13, 2014, Mt. Zion Baptist Church celebrated 122 years of worshipping and serving the Lord. To God be the Glory!!!